Sunday, February 04, 2007

Union Square + Brooklyn =

Perfect Weekend! On Saturday Al and I hang out for the whole day at Union Square. I checked out an interesting store called Urban Outfitters, then I tasted all of the samples at the Farmer's Market, where farmers sell their organic products, and we bought some very good stuff (sheep's milk cheese, yogurt, sheep's sausage, "seriously good bacon"). The setting is exactly like our feiras there, only everything is organic (and pricey!) hehehe For lunch we headed to an asian fusion restaurant called Republic (yum!) , then I got me some real winter boots at a sports store Al likes to go to, then to Barnes & Noble, a 4-story bookstore where I lost my earmuffs. After reading some books sitting on B&N floor, we caught a veeery good movie, Children of Men. It's by the same director of Y tu mama tambien, Alfonso Cuaron. It's amazing, serioulsy, you guys don't miss it when it opens in Sao Paulo. Then we went back to B&N to search for my earmuffs one more time, and they had found it, yay! To top the the perfect Saturday, we had dinner at this ridiculously good chocolate place called Max Brenner. I can't even begin to tell you how good it is...you just gotta check for yourselves. (We did all that in no more than 2 or 3 blocks! It's really great that area)
On Sunday we spent most of the day doing more home maintenance, we installed the air conditioning (not that we're gonna be needing it anytime soon, it's just that we really had to take that huge thing out of the way!). Took us a really long time to do that, it was supposed to be a 2 big men's work! I even had to climb on the filthy hundreds-year-old fire escape to help put the thing in place...:S Then I learned how to do laundry (and hung the clothes on the bathroom...oh well...what you're gonna do...) and we installed the new shelves we got for the library area (hahahah makes one think we live in a mansion doesnt it?).
On the evening, I went to Brooklyn (!) to see a dance performance Tonya invited me to (pics = Manhattan Bridge, dancers warming up). Afterwards, we met Tony, a dance technology teacher that writes on The Winger, and we hang out with him and two friends at a suprisingly nice restaurant nearby (surprisingly because thse surroundings of the theater were not that "nice" if you know what I mean....hehehe). Funny thing is that Tony had ordered a pizza and it came sliced as an appetizer...I was waiting untill someone other than him got a slice so I could get mine...And when i did, the cheese that was on my slice just wouldn't separate from the other slice cause it was melted together, and we didn't have any knife on the table...I didn't want to put my hand on the other slice to separate it (I would if I were between my friends...but not with foreign strangers...!), so i ended up eating a cheeseless slice of pizza hahahaha I had a really good time.
When we were about to leave, they even started playing Brazilian music on the background (The standard Bossa Nova, you know...). I am very suprised, everything Brazil seems to be very en vogue. I hear Brazilian music in the most different places we go, even at "Babies R Us" (before you think anything, we were just hanging out with Al's friend, who is 9 month old pregnant)
PS: I'm gonna update Flickr with more weekend pics, cause I've got tons!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Como diriam os nova-iorquinos: "oh my god, it's awesome!", hahaha, eu ouvia isso pelo menos uma vez por dia :)

Falando em asian food, você tem que ir no Spice! Tem um na University Place (a rua do meu escritório, só que um pouco mais para baixo). Era o restaurante que eu mais ia! O Pad Thai de lá é muito bom.

Que ótimo que você gostou da Union Square! Nossa, quantos finais de tarde eu não passei lá, sentadinha nos degraus, vendo as pessoas passarem...

Ah! Um café muito bom é o News Bar, na University Place também. Era meu café queridinho, onde eu sempre tomava meu black coffee with sugar e meu double espresso :)

Mas o melhor espresso é do Caffe Reggio, na MacDougal. Quente e bem passado! Quase tão bom quanto os daqui, hehehe.

Maravilhosa a foto da Brooklyn Bridge! ;)

Anonymous said...

Ai, olha eu, trocando as línguas... no penúltimo parágrafo, é eXpresso, hehehe.

tonya said...

Ha ha -- you (nicely) didn't mention that I was late this time!!!! I always get lost going into Brooklyn -- it's a self-fulfilling prophecy! I tell myself oh no, I'm going into Brooklyn, I'm going to get lost, and then I do! Sorry again!

I know, that area was very seedy! But it's become trendy in recent years -- it's called DUMBO (stands for down under the Manhattan bridge overpass!) I think there are a lot of artist studios out there now. I'm glad you got there early, when it was still light outside, because when I was walking from the subway to the theater it was dark and a bit scary!

Anyway, I had a great time!!

Anonymous said...

you (nicely) didn't mention that I was late this time!!!! I always get lost going into Brooklyn -- it's a self-fulfilling prophecy! I tell myself oh no, I'm going into Brooklyn, I'm going to get lost, and then I do! Sorry again!

I know, that area was very seedy! But it's become trendy in recent years -- it's called DUMBO (stands for down under the Manhattan bridge overpass!) I think there are a lot of artist studios out there now. I'm glad you got there early, when it was still light outside, because when I was walking from the subway to the theater it was dark and a bit scary!
www.onlineuniversalwork.com